If you ‘re new to Valheim, the survival game won’t explain much to you at first. But don’t worry, that’s what we’re here for!
In our seed guide we explain how you plant trees and other plants, and what a cultivator actually is at Odin.
Growing seeds in Valheim
To grow plants, you first need two things in Valheim: The forge and a cultivator – or in German, a rake. You have to craft the tool yourself, this is how it works:
Step 1: build Forge
With the forge you make bronze equipment, furniture and better tools. You build the forge by following these steps:
- Craft a Smelter.
- From Copper Ore (pronounced, copper ore) you make 6 metal bars.
- You also need the following resources: 10 wood, 4 stones, 4 coal.
- Equip your hammer and press F to open the crafting menu.
- There you select the Forge and place it near your workbench with the left mouse button.
You only understand metal train station? Then take a look at our guide on the subject. We explain the individual ores, types of metal and the melting furnace again in great detail:
Step 2: craft the cultivator
With the rake you work the earth and prepare it to plant trees or carrots. This is how you make the tool:
- Choose your forge.
- Combine 2 Copper with 1 Tin to get Bronze.
- The cultivator will now be unlocked for you.
- After the activation you can craft it – you need 5 Bronze and 5 Core Wood for this.
What can the cultivator do? You can use your brand new tool for several purposes: Cultivate (that means working on the soil), setting grass areas, growing carrots and carrot seeds (these are actually different functions!) And planting trees.
Step 3: plant vegetables and trees
Where can I find seeds? In order to sow something you need – logically – first of all the right seeds. You can find them quite easily in Valheim. Just take a couple of long trips through the Black Forest and collect whatever comes your way.
And this is how you plant your finds:
- Equip the cultivator and open the menu with a right click.
- Selects »Cultivate«.
- With a click on a piece of earth you start raking the ground.
- When you are done, open the Cultivator menu again and choose which seeds (trees or vegetables) you want to plant.
- Note: It takes a few days before you can get ready to harvest.